Friday, October 3, 2008

The Beginnings

As I was cleaning out my garage today trying to make room for a vehicle (imagine that! A car in a garage!) I ran across something that took me back to my beginnings in photography. It was a brochure from an exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art. The date: September 19 - December 5, 2004.

The Exhibit was called "Carbon", by the German Lothar Baumgarten.
The artist dedicated 4 months to following America's railroad tracks across the land with a camera, tripod, dictating recorder, pen and notebook.

These are some of the images from the exhibit:









From the brochure: "Carbon as a project may be understood as an elegy, an epic and sometimes melancholic poem about the impact of the railroad on the geography, people, and history of America."

Upon seeing these and many other images I was struck with the thought - "I can certainly take photos better than that!!"
I picked up the Canon point and shoot camera I had just purchased and went about taking photos of anything and everything. If it would stay still long enough for me to photograph it, chances are I did.

I spent hours online and in magazines and books reading and researching techniques, manuals, photographers, and looking through images. I kept a binder full of "inspirational images" and how-to articles. I go back and look through the images every now and then just to be reminded of what got me started and to refresh my memory.

Eventually I upgraded to a dSLR and then I added lighting to the bag of tricks. Finally, the last nudge came in January and I plunged into photography full time. It has been a wild and crazy ride since then but one that has taught me a lot about life, myself, my friends, and this passion I call photography.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter